Structured cabling is the generic term for runs of cable in the walls, ceilings, and crawl spaces of buildings. Generally, cable is either Cat5 or Cat6 twisted pair cables. These cables are four pairs of twisted copper wires that are terminated a number of different ways to provide the functionality needed.
The design and installation of structured cabling is governed by a set of standards that determine how to wire a data center, office or apartment building for data or voice communications, using Category 5(CAT 5E) or Category 6 cable(CAT 6E) and modular sockets.
These standards define how to lay the cabling in a star formation, such that all outlets terminate at a central patch panel (which is normally 19 inch rack-mounted), from where it can be determined exactly how these connections will be used. Each outlet can be ‘patched’ into a data network switch (normally also rack mounted alongside), or patched into a ‘telecoms patch panel’ which forms a bridge into a private branch exchange (PBX) telephone system, thus making the connection a voice port.
Structured cabling falls into the following six sub-systems:
- Entrance Facilities is where the building interfaces with the outside world.
- Equipment Rooms host equipment which serves the users inside the building.
- Telecommunications Rooms are where various telecommunications and data equipment resides, connecting the backbone and horizontal cabling sub-systems.
- Backbone Cabling as the name suggests carries the signals between the entrance facilities, equipment rooms and telecommunications rooms.
- Horizontal Cabling is the wiring from telecommunications rooms to the individual outlets on the floor.
- Work-Area Components connect end-user equipment to the outlets of the horizontal cabling system.
Installing data cabling can range in difficulty. If the building is being built, and the walls have yet to be finished, cable runs are easy. Retrofitting existing buildings can be very difficult, but we have the experiance to make it just another part of the process.
We provide you with the design, installation and support for Voice as well as Data, Converged Networks, Wireless Applications, Cable TV & CCTV. With a primary focus, on you, the customer, we strive to produce a cost-effective approach for Small Medium and Large complex communications networks. We tailor systems to meet your fastpaced and ever-changing requirements and provide you with excellence around every corner. Contact Us